Monday, July 2, 2012

Can't find my camera but I made spaghetti

I'm really mad at myself for this one.  Often, I lose the phone or the remote or something, but my camera is kinda high up on the scale of stuff-I-don't-want-to-lose.

Pics may be added when I find my camera, although by then the spaghetti will be gone.  So, actually, I made the spaghetti, along with a big batch of homemade meatballs, for my son's birthday party on Saturday.  He's a big fan of the Mario Bros video games; I made him a Goomba pinata and a "1-Up" cake, as well as spaghetti and meatballs.  And, because I tend to overdo it, I also made a rigatoni chicken casserole that I may post on Friday if I ever find my camera.  *inward snarl*.  There was so much food that we ate spaghetti yesterday AND this evening.

So: homemade spaghetti and meatballs which translated to feeding my family of four three times (plus assorted guests which I'm not counting here, because some of them ate the casserole)

In my jumbo pot (that I used to make chili here) I made a whole pound of spaghetti.  It was on sale last week at Costa's Sure Fine in Coudersport for $1 a box.  I bought two boxes of spaghetti and two boxes of the rigatoni for the casserole.  I only cooked one box of spaghetti Saturday but each box is a full pound, so it was more than enough.  I used a family-sized pack of hamburger meat ($8.50, to the best of my recollection) mixed with four slices of shredded white bread (negligible cost) roughly 2 tsp of Italian seasoning, and 4 eggs ($0.60).  I moulded it into meatballs and baked them in the oven at 400 degrees until they were done.  It took maybe 10 minutes?  I set the timer for 5 and that wasn't long enough.  I strained the spaghetti and poured on Francesco Rinaldi sauce, my favorite, and also on sale last week 3 jars for $5.  (1 jar = $1.67).  I also made salad consisting of $4 worth of lettuce ($1.99 for each of two heads) and one very large tomato for $1.50.  I diced onion but nobody wanted any.  One jar of salad dressing $2.50 on sale, and birthday cake for dessert, of course, all 3 days since I made way too much of that too.  2 mixes at $1.33 each and one jar of store-bought icing (I got lazy - $1.99) and 1 batch of homemade frosting (less than $1 but I'll be generous and call it $1)

Total for three meals = $9.10 meatballs, $1 spaghetti, $1.67 sauce, $4 lettuce, $1.50 tomato, $2.50 dressing, $2.66 + $1.99 + $1 cakes = $25.42.  Divided by 3 because, as I said, I'm being generous with my allowance even though I fed some to guests AND b/c we STILL have salad left even after tonight, each night's total is... $8.47.

No comments:

Post a Comment