Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Homemade Sweet Onion Sauce

My daughter LOVES Subway's Sweet Onion Sauce.  I thought I would try to recreate it but when I looked it up it was waaaaaay too complicated.  First of all, it contains 3 different kinds of vinegar: Red, White, and Basalmic.  So that wasn't going to happen.  I found a few recipes from people who had just tried to make their own, but the reviews were really varied, from "This tastes nothing like Subway's" to "This tastes just like Subway's!" on the same recipe.  I'm going to adjust the official Subway recipe to only allow for ingredients I have in my house.  Here goes nothin'....

Here's my "adjusted" recipe:
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp + 3 tsp vinegar (I had cider vinegar)
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 dash salt
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in glass bowl, microwave 2 minutes, allow to cool, and serve.

Final judgement from me: doesn't taste exactly like Subway's, but is still a VERY tasty sauce.  WIN.

Final judgement from my daughter will have to wait; she's on a playdate.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment