Tuesday, July 31, 2012

T-Bone Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes


Well, it's all there in the title, folks.  I started by thawing out some pork.  This was $4.40 worth of bone-in pork steaks, 42.88 ounces worth.  Roughly, that's 10 cents an ounce.  Thus, a ten ounce steak from this pack would be only a dollar.  Think about that.  Of course, that would include at least 2 ounces of bone, I'm sure.  It doesn't look like a big pack, but they're semi-stacked in there, so it's more meat than it appears to be. 

The last time I made pork chops I used sirloin steaks (no bone) and seasoned them with butter and italian seasoning.  Tonight, I used butter and cajun seasoning.  I'm a dare-devil, I know.  I used roughly 3 Tbsp butter and 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the glass dish, to keep them moist, then shook on the seasoning right out of the jar.  I baked them in the oven at 450 for 40 minutes.  Well, technically, I baked them for 20 minutes while I got the potatoes and the dessert ready, pulled them out, flipped them over, shook on more seasoning, then baked for another 20 with the potatoes. 

But it really amounts to the same thing... po-tay-toe/puh-tah-toe...


The scalloped potatoes I just made according to the directions on the box.  I mixed up dessert at the same time as the potatoes, so it would be ready when we were done eating.  And dessert was, at my daughter's request, pudding.  I bought 5 oz dixie cups, filled them with roughly 4 ounces each of pudding, since it was on sale last week at Jubilee for 50 cents a mix. (one mix filled 5 cups) Even when you count the cost of the milk, 1 gallon = 16 cups, and pudding mix uses 2 cups of milk, so 1/8 of the cost of a gallon of milk, roughly $3.50, is $0.43.  So dessert cost $0.93.

I took a few pics of my family enjoying the meal (although my eldest did not want to be photographed tonight) and was tired of my daughter's "poses", so I purposely took two pictures in a row to see what she looks like when she's actually eating. 










So dinner ($4.40) + scalloped potatoes ($1 mix + 18 cents milk) + 93 cent dessert =

$6.51


No comments:

Post a Comment