Friday, June 29, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner (part 1)


Often, when I want something fast and easy, I make some eggs.  Breakfast is a fast, easy meal, and so popular in my house that the kids are usually done eating before I'm done pouring drinks.  There's also so many variations on the theme that I had to label this "Part I" because I'm assuming that I'll be making breakfast for dinner in some other incarnation before long.


First, I made some pancakes; they can always be re-heated in the microwave but aren't as bad if they get cold as the eggs are.  So, as soon as I made them, I put them on a plate in the microwave; the insulation kept them warm.  I mixed up 2 cups of bisquik, but you can make pancakes from scratch with this recipe: Beat 1 egg with 1 c milk and 1 Tbsp vinegar.  Sift together 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp sugar.  It only makes 5 or 6 large pancakes, so you'll want a double batch if your family eats as much as mine do. 


I should add that I started with 2 cups of bisquik, and ended up going back into the kitchen and making another batch of pancakes.  The bisquik is $5.99 a box when not on sale, and the box contains 9 cups.  I used 4 cups tonight, for a total of $2.66.  Bisquik can be mixed with water (the milk is in the mix) or milk.  I used tapwater (free) and 2 eggs. 

 

Next, I made the bacon.  It was on sale a few weeks ago for $2.50 a pack, so I bought several.  Tonight, I made half of a pack, or $1.25 worth of bacon.


The bacon, also, was placed on a microwave-safe plate and put in my oven to keep warm.

Lastly, I made the eggs.  I mixed 8 eggs (because that's how much my family eats) with some milk.  I just poured it into the bowl after the eggs were scrambled, roughly 1 part milk to two parts egg.  This is how I was always taught to make scrambled eggs.  I don't know, but I think it makes them "fluffier".  I poured the eggs on my griddle and kept stirring them right on the griddle (with a plastic spatula) until they were cooked.  Then I scooped about half of them onto a serving plate. 
To the other half, I added cheese.  You can add whatever kind you want, depending on what kind of "taste" you're going for.  Cheddar, American, and Mozzerella all have very different flavors when mixed with eggs.  I used Mozzerella tonight, because I have this jumbo bag I've been using for a while.  I just sprinkled some cheese on top, put a little water (a teaspoon or so) in an upside-down metal lid, then put the lid down on top.  The water evaporated into steam almost instantly, so the eggs didn't burn while the frozen cheese melted. 

The pancakes only needed nuked about 20 seconds and the bacon was still warm.  The kids drank milk.  I had planned on yogurt for dessert but everybody had seconds of pancakes and then were too full for yogurt.  Since I calculated the cost of the extra pancakes, I won't include the cost of the yogurt in tonight's total.


Speaking of which, 12 eggs = $1.89 and I used 10 = $1.58.  Half a pack of Bacon = $1.25,
and 2 batches of Bisquik pancakes = $2.66.  Add $1 for the sprinkling of cheese on the eggs,
and we have a total of $6.49

No comments:

Post a Comment