Monday, June 11, 2012

steak and corn

Tonight I just wanted something fast and simple.  Last week, corn on the cob was on sale for 50 cents an ear, so I bought 4 ears, and I still had, in my freezer, that cheap, thin steak that was on sale for $3.29/lb
 This week, it was even cheaper, and a thicker, juicier cut, but I couldn't justify the purchase while I still had steak in my freezer waiting to be used.  Since it's only Monday, I may buy some of the juicier steak before the end of the week.
Since I was interested in speed more than anything else, I thawed the steak in my microwave, peeled 3 ears of corn (since I knew my boys would split an ear), chopped the steak into "serving-sized" chunks, and pan-fried it with some Italian dressing and water. 
The corn I boiled for 12 minutes and served with margarine and salt.  Like I said, I was after "simple".  Dessert was a bisquick coffee cake, recipe off the side of the box.  I would recommend making twice as much crumb topping.  This wasn't nearly sweet enough for my taste.

Bisquick coffee cake recipe:  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9 inch pan.  In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup bisquick, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp margarine to make crumb topping.  In larger bowl, mix 2 cups bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, 2 Tbsp sugar, and 1 egg.  Spread batter in pan and cover with crumb topping.  Cook 18-22 minutes until golden brown.

In the end, I only used about 2/3 of the steak.  The rest I diced into "stir fry" sized chunks and put in my freezer for future use.  As far as costs go, the steak was $6.76.  I used about 2/3 of it, so that was roughly $4.50 worth of steak.  The corn was 50 cents an ear.  I bought four but only cooked 3 tonight, so that's $1.50.  The bisquick cake is hard to calculate but a whole box of bisquick only costs $5.99 when not on sale, and the side of the box says it contains 9 cups of mix, so I used 2 and 1/3 cups, or roughly 26% of the box, or $1.56 worth.  Since I also used small amounts of milk, egg, etc, we're going to call this a $2 dessert.  Total spent tonight: $4.50 steak, $1.50 corn, and $2 dessert = $8.00


No comments:

Post a Comment