Monday, June 25, 2012

(More traditional) Pizza

My homemade pizza recipe leaves something to be desired.  On the one hand, it is cheaper than a store-bought frozen pizza, and includes enough dough to make 2 pizzas, so you can do something fun with the left-over dough, like make cinnamon rolls, fried dough, or garlic breadsticks.  On the other hand, it is flatter and less tasty than most pizzaria pizza.  So tonight I tried a new recipe.

Unfortunately, it takes more rising time than my other recipe, which is one reason why the post is so late.  The other reason is because I didn't have any sides in the house that sounded good to me.


So my new recipe came from experimentation, but, like any good scientist, I documented carefully.  A non-reproducible experiment is as bad as a non-productive one.  So... here's my new recipe:  Stir together 3 cups flour, 4 tsp yeast (or 2 packets) 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 c sugar.  Melt 2 Tbsp margarine in 1 cup hot water (110 to 130 F degrees) and mix that in (the recipe also allows for 1 c heated milk instead of "butter water" but this recipe already called for twice the yeast and 4 times the sugar as my other recipe, and theoretically one should only alter one variable at a time, but this was a kitchen experiment - not a controlled, designed-for-journal-publication experiment.  Also, no way on earth was I making 4 batches of dough to change each ingredient separately.  So anyway, Knead for 5 - 8 minutes on a floured board until the dough is springy. 




HERES THE BIG DIFFERENCE: Before, I allowed the dough to rise, then rolled it out and cooked it. This time, I rolled it out and put it on the tray, then allowed it to rise. In this case, I bagged it with a clean plastic bag, then put it in my vehicle with the windows up to rise (warm but not hot today, surprisingly).  It took a little more than half an hour.  While I waited, I diced up my toppings and watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory.  Once the dough had risen, I topped it and cooked it as usual, with my Pizzaz.


With the leftover dough, I made sandwich rolls, since my oldest didn't want pizza tonight. He had a toasted cheese sandwich on a fresh roll.  These rolls were cooked in my toaster oven.  They're smaller than they look here.  The large one is probably a six-inch roll; the small one was probably 4 inches. 

I can't measure it now because my son ate it.

 

After having eaten it, I must say that the new recipe is tastier than my old one. I have an addition to try next time, however.  If I'm not using the dough for a dessert (like fried dough or cinnamon rolls) I think I will add garlic powder at the beginning, with the yeast and flour, before the warm water.  Or maybe some italian seasonings.  Not much, just maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.  Either way, the pizza tonight was a vast improvement over my previous attempts at home pizza-making.

For a side dish (and this is the other reason I'm so late tonight) there was nothing delicious in my cupboard, so all 4 of us walked to our local grocery store, where we bought a bag of apples ($3.49 for a 3-pound bag, which contained 8 apples) and a container of blueberries ($1.88 a pint) and a container of cinnamon rolls for our dessert tonight (a "special of the week" deli item for $1.69 for 6)



We had to eat outside tonight because I was painting Andrew's birthday pinata. But I took a pic of the cinnamon rolls before they were mercilessly devoured.

They're totally gone now.







So, I had previously calcuated the cost of pizza dough to be $2.55 per batch.  This included the "extra" dough that went into making the sandwich rolls tonight, as well as the cheese on the pizza.  Tonight, we had pepperoni ($3 a pack but we used less than 1/3 of a pack so $1 is an over-estimate) and, on my three slices, onions, green olives, and banana peppers.  I'm just going to guess $0.50 for all of that, although, again, probably an over-estimate.  As a family, we ate 2 apples (cost of 1/4 of $3.49, or $0.88, and about 1/4 cup of blueberries each - believe it or not : the recommended serving size -  for Luke and for me, or 1/4 of $1.88, or $0.47.  Dessert was $1.69, because, of course, we managed to eat all 6 cinnamon rolls despite there only being 4 of us. 

Our total is now: $2.55 dough and cheese + $1 pepperoni + $0.50 other toppings + $0.88 apples + $0.47 blueberries + $1.69 cinnamon rolls = $7.09.  Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment