Friday, August 31, 2012

Cajun chicken and cauliflower

 
 
I know I've done a lot of chicken recipes but this was delicious, easy, and crazy cheap, so I just couldn't help myself.  First off, this was part of the crazy cheap chicken purchase from early July. 
 
 
 
These drumsticks were so very, very cheap.  They were sold by the pound but there were 14 drumsticks for $3.18  There were also 4 thigh/drums for $2.51 in another package.  Tonight, I cooked 4 of the 14 drums and 2 of the 4 thighs, making the cost of the chicken $2.17. 
 
To season it, I added a bit of water in the bottom of the pan (to keep it moist) and sprinkled on generic cajun seasoning.  By the way, I had previously cooked 7 of the14 drumsticks, freezing the rest for later.  These final 3 were re-bagged to save for yet another meal.  They were cooked at 400 for 40 minutes.  While they were cooking, I mixed up a bisquick coffee cake
 
 
As a side, I waited until the timer was down to 10 minutes and then steam-microwaved an entire bag of broccholi and cauliflower with some butter, some garlic salt, and some black pepper.  Dinner came out great and was enjoyed by all! 
 
 
Emily had seconds, and ate the last of the cauliflower.  Then she started snitching other peoples' cauliflower.  Finally, it was time for dessert!
 
 
So, our total for tonight was: $2.17 chicken, $1.69 broccholi/cauliflower mxi, previously calculated dessert at $2 a pan, we ate less than half a pan as a family tonight, so even being generous with rounding, $1 dessert tonight.  Total cost = $4.86

No comments:

Post a Comment