Friday, August 3, 2012

Beef brisket and potatoes


So I don't actually know what part of the cow a "brisket" is from, but I did this in my crockpot with my mom's roast beef recipe, minus the tomatoes, because my kids don't like stewed tomatoes.  In fact, the only reason I feel confident calling this "beef brisket" is because of this:


To the beef, in the crockpot, I added: 6 potatoes, skinned and diced, 1 large onion, diced, 3/4 cup vinegar, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 Tbsp salt, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp Worcestire sauce, 1 tsp mustard, and 1 bay leaf. My mother also used to add a 1-lb can of diced tomatoes, but, as I said, my kids don't like stewed tomatoes. It was cooked 2 and a half hours on high heat. You can also do it 8 hours on low, prepared in the morning and ready when you come home. I did not do it this way, because I work 6-2 and didn't want to eat my dinner at 2 in the afternoon.



The kids really liked dinner, which honestly surprised me because all the vinegar and salt in with the meat and potatoes made the potatoes taste like salt and vinegar chips. 
My daughter even asked for seconds.


Dessert was Reese's cups, one each, because they were on sale last week.  I just put them in the freezer right before serving dinner.


So the total for tonight is... $5.60 Beef, $1.50 potatoes (no, six potatoes weren't that much, but a great portion of the bag had rotted and I had to throw out the rest) and $1 worth of Reese's = $8.10.
I would've even had about $1 worth of roast beef left to make a sandwich out of, if the dog hadn't snatched it right off the table when I left to use the restroom.












No comments:

Post a Comment