Monday, August 6, 2012

Breakfast for dinner (part 2)


Tonight I wanted something fast and easy.  The kids wanted breakfast for dinner again.  I made somthing a little different than my usual breakfast for dinner, which is normally pancakes and eggs.  Tonight I started with hash browns: I diced 4 medium potatoes (about a fourth of a bag, which cost me $2.99.  I had to buy a brand new bag tonight 'cause I used up the last of my potatoes last Friday.  So, 75 cents worth of potatoes, a dollop of margarine, a bit of water and shake on the cajun seasoning like there's no tomorrow.  Oh, and fry in a pan on medium-low heat.  Keep the skins on for this; just wash them.

The omelettes were simple: lunchmeat ham (bought roughly 20 slices for $2.50 when it was on sale a few weeks back, froze it so it wouldn't spoil.  I used 4 slices in the eggs, so 1/5 of $2.50 means it was 50 cents worth of ham.  A single onion of negligable cost (really, really small onion, about 1 tbsp worth put in the eggs, and the rest put in the hash.) 




A bunch of bananas at 49 cents a pound (we ate 2 as a family and assuming they were REALLY heavy bananas we'll be generous and call it $1 worth of bananas.  Also, bought a bag of cheese at $2.99 and used about a fourth of that, too, so 75 cents of cheese.  Eggs were free for me (WIC item) but since they're normally $1.80/doz, and we used a third dozen (4 eggs) we'll call it 60 cents worth of eggs.  Last, but definitely not least, everyone had a cup of yogurt, since they were 3 for $1, so that's $1.34 worth of yogurt.

So our total tonight was: 0.75 potatoes + 0.50 ham + (negligable) onion + 0.60 eggs + 0.75 cheese + $1 bananas + $1.34 yogurt = $4.94

No comments:

Post a Comment