Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rhubarb! (again!)


In my TANSTAAFL post, I mentioned rhubarb as a "practically" free local (northcentral PA) food.  As a general rule, you want to pick your rhubarb mid-May, before it flowers.  If you notice that it's already flowered, all is not lost; just harvest it as soon as you can.

My daughter helped me harvest my plant this year.  You break off the stems as close to the dirt as you can, and break off the leaf.  Then, wash your stems and rub the dirt off (similar to celery or carrots) and dice into pieces.  I usually cut mine into half-inch long chunks, "sideways" (perpendicular to the direction of the stem).  Then, I (usually) bag and freeze it.  My mother's rhubarb crisp recipe is here, and today, on my day off from work, I made a rhubarb pie.

1 comment:

  1. My recipe for rhubarb pie:
    Pie crust: Mix 2 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 c cold water, and "cut in" 2/3 c shortening with pastry cutter. Roll on flour (and here's my personal genius) between two pieces of waxed paper, for easy transfer to the pie tin.

    Pie filling: 3-4 c diced rhubarb (my mom's recipe calls for 4 but I always find the pie tin OVERFLOWS with that much, so I tone it down to 3 cups) 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 c - 1 c sugar (depends on how sour you like your pie) 1/3 c flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 c margarine, melted. Stir the dry ingredients first, then mix in margarine and rhubarb.

    This is a "two crust" pie (not a "crumb topping" pie). Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete