Monday, May 7, 2012

Crazy Tasty Hamburgers



I don't often cook outside.  I know that there are people who like to grill; I'm just not one of them.  
Here's a "grilling" menu that I just happened to cook inside.  When I made the Hamburger helper, I had leftover hamburger meat.  Hamburger meat doesn't re-freeze too well, and trying to put it into little baggies can be a little messy.  So I made burger patties, and froze them between sheets of waxed paper.  I pressed my fingers around them to push out some of the air and avoid freezer burn.  I put them on a cookie sheet to keep them flat while they froze. 


Tonight, I needed something simple, so I pulled out these burgers ($4 worth of burger meat in 12 burgers makes them 33 cents each, or $1.33 for 4 burgers' worth).  Now, when I made the patties, I mixed in half of an italian seasonings packet, which are VERY expensive.  They cost about $1 a piece, but the tastiness of the burgers is soooo worth it.  They won't go bad, so you can even use half a packet, roll over the end, and save it for another day.  I used a half of a packet with 2 pounds of burger meat.  I also kneaded in two raw eggs to make the burgers stick together when they thawed.  (So add 50 cents for seasonings and eggs)  The burger buns were on sale for $1.29 for eight.  We used 4, so that's 65 cents for rolls.



 For a side dish  I bought some corn on the cob, 4 ears for $1.99, and for dessert, we had pseudo-parfaits.  I buy my favorite granola cereal, Great Grains, normally almost $5 a box.  I found it on sale for $2.99!  It was at Best Buys Food Store across from CCMH on Rte 6.  I doubt they still have any at that price.  I bought some 6-oz containers of yogurt with fruit mixed in, and sprinkled the great grains on top.  Each kid can pick their favorite flavor that way, and it's cheaper than buying the fruit separately.  The yogurt was 50 cents each, and the cost of the cereal was negligable.  


  So the total cost of the meal was $1.33 burger meat, 50 cents burger additives, 65 cents burger rolls, $1.99 corn on the cob, $2 yogurt = $6.47. 





No comments:

Post a Comment