Monday, May 14, 2012

Chicken Cacciatore

I used some leftover chicken meat from last week's Maple Glazed Chicken to make Chicken Cacciatore.


Now, Chicken Cacciatore is, basically, chicken cooked stir-fry style with stewed tomatoes and onions, served over spaghetti noodles.  The "leftover" chicken meat needed for this recipe was all taken from the wings and legs, leaving me still with one all-white breast for another day.  And a pile of bones.  And some very greasy fingers. 



To this pan (if I had to guess I'd say about a pound of dark chicken meat) I added a can of tomatoes, half an onion, and what was left of this bag of diced green peppers.  I also sprinkled on some generic "Italian Seasoning" and added a chicken bullion cube and some cayenne pepper for spice.

The can of tomatoes was $1.79 but the chicken, peppers, and onion was "using up leftovers" so the price was negligable, say, another 50 cents, tops. 

I let this steaming pile of awesome simmer for about 8 minutes, or about as long as it took to cook my spaghetti.


 You can serve chicken cacciatore over any kind of pasta.  My kids like spaghetti.  Oddly enough, my oldest said he wanted his chicken "on the side", and the others followed suit. Dessert was a 99cent chocolate cake mix with homemade peanut butter icing.


 
The spaghetti was 99 cents a box, and we only used 1/2 of a box.  So my price total is: $1.79 tomatoes, 50 cents pasta, 50 cents "extras", and $1.50 dessert.  (I added 50 cents as an estimate for the cost of the homemade PB icing on the cake).  Total is $4.29.  But a word to the wise: This recipe made WAY too much.  I gave away two servings to my neighbors even after we'd had seconds.

Bueno Sera
(Good Night)



No comments:

Post a Comment