Friday, November 23, 2012

Final Post: chicken and biscuits over gravy

First, a note: This will be my final post, for several reasons.  First, because I have said repeatedly that I'm running out of affordable, yet different dinner ideas.  I've done over 50 dinners for under $10 each.  Second, because the purpose of this blog (for me anyway) was to keep me writing during a slump.  I'd written a book under a pseudonym, published it two years ago, and hadn't written anything worth reading since then.  So, a fellow writer suggested keeping a blog just to keep me busy until I DID have a new idea.  Well, the slump is over, folks.  I've been working on a novel since August, am really excited about it, but haven't really had the time to write much (28 pages done in nearly 3 months is NOT good) and have been considering, for several weeks, ditching this project altogether so I'd have more time to work on my novel.  Lastly, and probably most importantly, google's "free" photo hosting service says I've reached my limit, and it won't allow me to upload any more photos without paying a service fee.  Ironically, I haven't used about 1/10th of the photos I've uploaded, and if I could "delete" them from the hosting service to make more room, I would, but I can't seem to figure out how...

So in a nutshell: 1) out of affordable dinner ideas, 2) writer's slump is over, and 3) no more (free) photo space.

So without any of the photos I took of tonight's dinner, here's the recipe and costs: (but it's much less fun this way)

First, I made the biscuits: 2 and 1/4 cups bisquick mixed with 2/3 cup milk, roll out on a floured board (I just use more bisquick) cut into circles, and bake at 450 for 8 minutes or so.

Second, cook chicken (I did a little more than a pound) in a frying pan.  I thawed the frozen chicken in the microwave, sliced the raw chicken into small chunks on a plate, and cooked them in a frying pan with just a little water to help them stay juicy.

Third, add gravy (I just bought a small can of chicken gravy for 88 cents when it was on sale a few weeks ago) to the pan of cooked chicken.

Pull the biscuits out of the oven, and cook a side dish of vegetables (I did a half a bag of frozen peas, purchased for $1.33, in the microwave with a Tbsp of butter for 4 minutes, stirring at 2)

For dessert, we had store-bought fudge-pops (generic, box of 12 for $3.29)

The prices were: $2.53 for the chicken: 1.16 lbs of boneless, skinless breast meat at $2.18/lb, 88 cents gravy, $1.05 worth of bisquick powder (I rounded up to 2.5 cups since I used bisquick instead of flour) and 16 cents for 2/3 cup of milk, plus 4 fudge pops (1/3 of the box of 12 = $1.10) brings our total to: $5.72

Again, sorry about the lack of photos.  I may or may not fiddle with this more and try to upload them.  Probably not.


No comments:

Post a Comment