Friday, September 28, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner 3

My ex-husband came to visit earlier this week.  He had me feeling nostalgic and I told him that while I'm still cooking up a storm, I don't really enjoy making his two favorite dishes: lasagna and sausage gravy over biscuits. The whole time I'm cooking I get flashbacks to being a happily married woman, cooking for my loving husband.  But then I realized, I am now cooking for my loving kids.  The love is still there, so there can still be lasagna.  And sausage gravy over biscuits.  And so, there was going to be gravylicious breakfast for dinner...

But then we had a bit of a medical emergency and didn't make it home until 5 pm today.  Which is when we are usually done with dinner and setting the table. 
 
So if I was going to make this, I had to make this fast.
 
 
These large boxes of Bisquick had been previously priced at $5.99/box.  However, 2 weeks ago they were on sale for $3.99/box.  So I bought 2 boxes  I followed the directions on the box: mix 2 1/4 cups Bisquick with 2/3 cup milk, knead on Bisquick covered board (probably another 1/2 to 1 cup.  If we call it 3/4 cup then we can say I used an even 3 cups of mix tonight) anyway, knead for about a minute, then roll out dough 1/2 inch thick, cut into biscuits and bake on ungreased baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes at 450F.  Mine took 8.
 
 

My youngest was my helper tonight: he suggested that we "cut them in shapes", but not knowing how they would turn out, we did mostly circles, with a few "hearts".  He "helped" again by "cleaning" the bowl.
 
, While the biscuits were cooking I needed to start the sausage.  This pack was $2.41, and was a little less than a pound.  Since we were in such a time crunch, I put the frozen chunk in the microwave, which half-way cooked it, then finished cooking it in the pan. When the sausage was done, I scooped it out with a slotted spatula, and added about a cup of milk and 2 cups of water.  
 
I would have added "italian seasonings" at this point but I didn't find them in the first place I looked, and I was in such a hurry that I mixed my own by sight: salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, basil, parsley, and a chicken bullion cube. Then I stirred the pork back in and set everything out on the table.
 
 
As a "side dish" I served bananas, which were on sale this week, 44 cents a pound. Two of these were really long, so we broke them in half to serve the four of us.  You might think that's an exaggeration but look at the length of half  the banana shown here:
 
 
 
  Dinner was delicious, but despite the fact that my youngest cleared his plate, he was still upset everytime I said "Eat your biscuits".  Because to him, this is Biscuit:
 
 
Dessert was applesauce, but dinner was so filling that only my youngest wanted any of it anyway.
 
 
He loves applesauce
 
 
So our total tonight is: 3 cups Bisquick (whole box is 9 cups, costs $3.99, so 1/3 box costs $1.33) + 2/3 cup milk ($3.49/gallon = 15 cents) + $2.41 (sausage) + 88 cents bananas (defintely less than 2 pounds but I'm rounding up anyway) + 10 ounces applesauce (32 oz = $2.35 so 10 oz = 73 cents) = $5.50
 

All right, you may now commence with the "big banana" jokes...
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment